- 1 (12 oz) can Blue Harbor Fish Co Albacore Tuna ( No Salt Added)
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 teaspoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons hot chili sauce (optional)
- Use a spoon to hollow out the avocados, creating a bowl effect, leaving plenty of avocado to form edible bowl walls. Place scooped avocado into a mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
- Drain tuna and place into mixing bowl with avocado. Add in lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, cilantro, green onions, peanuts, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Stuff into prepared avocado
- Drizzle with hot chili sauce and serve.
During Expo West I had the great privilege of meeting Blue Harbor's Registered Dietician Laura Ali to talk about benefits of eating wild caught fish, and different ways to incorporate into our daily nutrition. Some of the benefits of tuna include:
- Vitamin D
- Heart Friendly. Tuna comprises omega-3 fatty acids, which help in bringing balance in the blood vessels thereby reducing cholesterol in the arteries
- Lowers Blood Pressure
- Improves the Immune System
- Weight Loss
- Strengthens Your Bones
- It Improves Your Skin Health
- Prevents Risk of Cancer
- Provides Energy
What I love is that Blue Harbor Fish Co Tuna is fully traceable to certified sustainable fisheries that have met the strict MSC standard for:
Sustainable fish stocks: Fishing activity has been determined to be at a level that ensures it can continue indefinitely, and the fish stocks are healthy.
Minimal impact on the ecosystem: Fishing operations maintain the structure, productivity, function and diversity of the ecosystem.
Effective management: The fishery complies with international laws, regulations and conservation measures related to the management of the tuna species.
Some ways to incorporate Blue Harbor Fish Co Tuna into your everyday include:
1. Tuna Rigatoni with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
2. Tuna, Kale and Egg Salad
3. Tuna, White Bean and Kale Soup
4. Creamy Shells with Tuna and Spinach
5. Lower-Carb Easy Cheesy Tuna Casserole
6. Tuna Melt In a Tomato
7. Avocado Tuna Salad
I love that the tuna from their company is sustainably fished, and the packaging is BPA free which I personally find super important.
Check out more information here: